Sunday, September 29, 2013

Easy Fall Apple Crisp


I had the opportunity to go with Madelyn on a field trip to Pleasant View Orchard last week. She was so proud of the apples she picked, it was really sweet!

The day before the field trip I went to the grocery store and in a tired fog forgot we were going to be picking apples. So naturally I bought the largest bag they had!  Needless to say I needed to use some apples and decided to experiment with apple crisp.  My second attempt was the best so I thought I would share the recipe. It's super easy!!!


You will need: 

8" baking dish

6-8 large apples of your choice (I used Gala and Johnathan)

Cinnamon and/ or apple pie spice

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup quick baking oats

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 stick cold unsalted butter

1/4 tsp salt


Steps:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Peel, core and slice your apples. Place them evenly in two layers in your dish and sprinkle with a little cinnamon and apple pie spice (optional).


In a seperate bowl combine your flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar and salt. Cut in your cold butter.  



This is the fun part, begin mixing with your hands until all ingredients are combined, it should be crumbly.  Cover the apples with the crumb mixture. 


Bake at 375 for 40 mins, the top should be slightly brown. 


Enjoy!!

No comments :