Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fall and Acorns

I love fall, it's my favorite season of the year.  I love the crisp cool air, the smell of the leaves, anything pumpkin and I love fall decorations! 

As I was decorating my house for fall I realized I needed something for my coffee table and nothing felt quite right.  As I was playing outside with my kiddo last week it hit me, LITERALLY!  Acorns, falling from the sky…or the giant Oak tree in our front yard.  

 So with a little help from my two year old we collected a bag of them and I was set to create a fun piece for our coffee table.

My first step was to boil all of the acorns in a pot on the stove, this was to kill any critters that may be hiding away in there and it helped bring out the color. 


Before we boiled them


Unfortunately, the tops of the acorns tend to pop off when they fall from the tree, so once they were dry I broke out the glue gun and started putting the little beauties back together again.


Making them whole again!

I had two glass pieces that I knew would be perfect for this project, the first was a larger square vase and the second was a candle holder.  I thought the idea of a little candle light peeking through the acorns would be pretty, elegant and very fallish!


Candle holder inside the larger square vase



I LOVE the way it turned out and my favorite part is that it was FREE!!



Finished!

Happy fall, y’all!!

No comments :