Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Table Transformation Part 2

After lots of sanding, priming and painting we have a "new" kitchen table.  You can see my original post here; I was given this table by my friend and co-worker Mary and rather then sell it in a garage sale I decided to give it a make-over. 

Original Table

The table itself was very nice, however the colors didn't go with our decor so I opted to give it a fresh coat of black paint.  In order to paint, I first had the dreaded job of sanding.  I despise sanding, it's so messy and your arm is left feeling like a limp, vibrating noodle an hour after you've finished.

Once I got the shiny top coat off and most of the old paint I was ready to prime.  To save time I decided to use Rustoleum Spray Primer, it went on easy and covered well enough that only one bottle was necessary.
Rustoleum Ultra Cover Primer in black

Table after two coats of primer

Once I let the primer dry completely for 24 hours I got to work on the paint, I chose Rustoleum Painters Touch Latex Paint in black.  I wanted that smooth,  Pottery Barn finish so I decided to go with a flat paint instead of a semi-gloss. This is a little bit of a risk considering it's a kitchen table where stuff will definitely be spilled, so far no issues and everything has wiped off easily.

I used a brush and roller to apply the paint; I prefer a roller to get that smooth finish, however in some areas you  have to use a brush to get in the nooks and crannies.  The other key to getting a smooth finish is to let the paint dry completely between each coat of paint.  It may take a little longer to finish your project but the end result will be well worth it.

I'm a fan of the Purdy paint products

After two coats of paint
After 3 coats of paint the table was transformed!  I waited a full 48 hours before bringing the table inside, you always want to be sure your paint is fully cured and dry.

We love the way it turned out and have been enjoying our dinners at the new table, lucky for us our old chairs still match great and we didn't have to worry about replacing those.

Finished Table!!

 If you look closely in the back ground you may be able to tell what my next project will be?!?!

So, do you have any paint projects you are working on right now?

~SCS~

SCS was in no way paid to endorse the Rustoleum or Purdy products, we just like them and want to share what products we prefer.

No comments :