Monday, September 29, 2008

Our First Parental Test

Adam and I thought it would be fun to go look at baby furniture and other necessities this weekend, so we ventured out Friday night and after just two stops we were a bit overwhelmed. Who knew there were so many choices and how do you decide on the "right one"?

I definitely had my first "I have no idea what I am doing" moment. I am sure the first of many thousands to come! How do you know that crib is sturdier then the others? How do you know the paint won't chip off? Do you really need a changing table or will a dresser with a changing pad work just fine? Then you have to pick out a mattress...you can't lay down on them and try them out like you would if picking out your own.

Then there is the issue of car seats, strollers, and travel systems. In my personal opinion the manufactures don't do a very good job of making them unisex. I am sorry but orange and lime green don't scream girl to me, nor do purple and pink scream boy. The selection of neutral colors are very slim. We do plan on finding out what we are having but I would like to be able to use some of this stuff for a possible second baby and who knows what we will have.

I honestly feel like stopping every mom or dad I see and asking them "are you happy with your choice in stroller'? How about your car seat, is it light, easy to install?


Oh and don't get me started on child care???????????????????????????

I know it's only the beginning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Sara,

I love this post. It is so very true. I've been exactly where you are. I don't have all the answers, but just know this is all so normal.

Here is a tip that helped us: At Babies R Us there are items labeled "Top Registry Pick." This labels items that most people register for. So, when in doubt....trust strangers. Ha!

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Well, sounds like you handled it better than I did when I had the bright idea to just go and look at car seats by myself in the early stages of pregnancy. At least you didn't have to leave because you felt so incompetent that you were on the verge of tears!!! Why do they make it so overwhelming for parents? My friends got the book "Baby Bargains" and loved it. They said it really broke down which products are durable or worth spending a little more on and which are not really necessary or overpriced. Good luck!