Wednesday, March 18, 2009

First Class Down

Adam and I had our first childbirth class last night, our instructor is a retired labor and delivery nurse of 32 years who is probably in her seventies. There are 7 couples total in the class and we had quite a few laughs last night. Adam and I even got in trouble at one point...let's just say I couldn't stop laughing which in return made him start laughing. Oops!!

We played a "get to know you" game at the beginning of class and we found out that only one other couple is due before us and her due date is two days before mine. We also found out that we were the only couple that had our crib up and ready, I was shocked. Ours has been up and ready for months!!

We learned at what point we should go to the hospital after contractions start and when we should call the doctor. We practiced breathing and relaxation exercises which was interesting, I have a hard time picturing myself actually doing them once I am in labor. I think I learned better techniques in Massage Therapy school. My favorite part of the class was when Adam had to rub my back!!! He is pretty good at it!!

Next week we will watch two birth videos and be introduced to all the tools/instruments we could see the day of delivery. Our instructor advised us to eat before we come because she doesn't want anyone getting low blood sugar and passing out. I sure hope Adam and I both handle the videos okay!

No comments :