Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Let There Be Light

I have lived in my house now for 5 1/2 years and have wanted to do a kitchen overhaul since the day we moved in. However 5 years later all that has been accomplished is new stainless steel appliances and cabinet hardware.  So this fall/ winter it's ON!!!!

The entire process will be done in phases, one of which I completed last night.  A new light!!  There was a recessed light directly above my kitchen sink; I have wanted to convert it to a pendant light for quite some time.  I prefer a pendant light over a recessed light, I think it gives a warmer feel and looks less sterile.  The great thing is they make recessed lighting conversion kits; they can be found at most home improvement stores.  No re-wiring necessary!!

Now, most of the boxes for the conversion kits say "as easy as screwing in a light bulb".  Let me just say this was not the case for me.  I even had my husband ready to box it up and return it to Lowe's asap.  I refused to give up (I'm stubborn like that) and finally got it to cooperate.

So here are a few pictures, I would recommend allowing a little more time than just screwing in a light bulb but it's definitely a DIY project!

I also FINALLY got rid of that hideous scalloped, wood molding piece above the sink as well!!

BEFORE
(Note the hideous scalloped wood piece)



Bye Bye Scalloped Wood Piece
(I still need to remove the wood molding across the top)




AFTER
Love pendant lights!

 Here's to LOVE, LAUGHTER & HAPPILY ever after!!
~SCS~

No comments :