Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Not Just For Lamps Anymore

Apparently, I have been picking on my light fixtures lately because this is the second one I have given the big heave ho in the last week.   I guess I  figured it was time for a change!

I recently updated a recessed light in our kitchen that you can see here.  Then I decided it was on to the dining room light, I have planned to change this light for quite some time but never got around to it.  You know, that thing called “life” gets in the way sometimes.  Our dining room is connected to our living room, though the previous home owners didn’t use the dining room as such.  They used it as a “play room”; therefore the light fixture wasn’t what most would consider a “typical” dining room light.  Now, we are not formal people so the dining room gets used oh, maybe 3 times a year.  I guess you can see why it wasn’t necessarily at the top of my priority list.

Original light fixture















Keep in mind that we are not “formal” people, transitioning to a big chandelier just didn’t seem to fit our personality or the personality of our home.  So I decided an easy fix would be to convert our current light fixture to something a little more fun.  I love the look of the modern pendant light, however I don’t love there price tags. 
So here is my DIY solution, convert a lamp shade into a pendant light fixture.  Here is how I did it and how you can do it too!!


Original light fixture again


The first step is to measure the base (part against the ceiling) of the existing light fixture, this is how you will know what size lamp shade you will require.  I ended up using a 14 inch shade.  Once you have your dimensions then it's time to hunt down that perfect lamp shade.



If you're like me, then that perfect shade doesn't exist and you have to create it.  So, I set off to Joann Fabric to find the perfect fabric to cover my lamp shade.  This is relatively easy to do, I covered a lamp shade for my daughter's room a few years ago.  All you need is the lamp shade, fabric and a hot glue gun.  Keep in mind the darker the fabric the less light will shine through.  Cut the fabric to fit your lamp shade but leave 3 to 4 inches of "wiggle" room on each side.  Using the natural seam of the shade you will attach one side of your fabric along the seam, this will act as your anchor.  Work your way around the shade, pulling the fabric tight and gluing it down with your glue gun. You will do this on both ends and leave an inch or so of extra fabric. 

Attaching the fabric to the shade

Creating that clean line
Once the fabric is completely attached the way you want it, you can go back and fold the fabric (that extra inch or so) under to create a nice clean seam and glue that down.



Finished lampshade!
 
To hang the lamp shade you will remove the finial and the glass bowl from your light fixture. You should be left with an existing rod that the bowl slid on and the finial screwed on.  You can slid your new lamp shade on the rod and use the finial (from the previous fixture) to secure the lamp shade in place.


Finished Product

Woohoo!!
So, do you have any light fixtures you are ready to tackle and give a custom look?  You can do it!

Here's to LOVE, LAUGHTER & HAPPILY ever after!!
~SCS~

No comments :